Monday, August 20, 2007

Money in the Mattress

I hate my bank. Now I have to decide if I hate them enough to switch all my accounts to a different bank. I’ve been with this bank for over ten years; the last four have been a major disappointment.

Example one, I have been receiving a settlement check for about three years, once a month same amount. In theory it is a third party check, because the payer writes the check to the county and the county sends the check to me. However the county stamps the check ‘with no recourse’ because they are not responsible for payment. Last week I go to cash said check and the teller says, she can’t cash it, they can’t do that. Um, what?! I get heated; this prompts another teller to come over. Second teller decides it’s ok. Now is it policy not to cash it or is it teller option.

Example two, I receive a large check from an out of state government agency. When I try to deposit it they say it will take FIVE days to clear! Ok, ok fine. I even postponed a bill payment to wait for it to clear. I get and email from the bank saying funds will be available on the 20th. On the 20th I roll up to the bank to withdraw some funds, teller says “the system is currently down can’t do it”. Um, what?!! “You can use the ATM” she says. “No I can’t,” I say, “the amount I need to withdraw is over my daily limit, that’s why I’m here and not at the ATM! When will the system work?” “Oh, she says, we don’t know it’s been down all morning.” Now, I have waited patiently for FIVE days, I WANT MY MONEY! I had to then get loud, and throw around some real dirty looks, but mysteriously I got my money (nevermind the sign posted on the window reading: system down no withdrawals)!

There are numerous other examples I won’t bore you with. Yet it seems it always ends with me getting heated before any financial transactions take place. I don’t not need this kind of stress, seriously. Now I know why people hide money in their mattresses.

No comments: